Sunday, April 25, 2010

Flower Power

The 60’s style, not what is coming up in my garden.   I just finished a dress to be worn to a 60’s theme party, for someone who wanted to be able to wear it again.  When I bought this fabric I had no idea what I would use it for but I always have liked cotton pique.  I bought it at Hawaii Fabric Mart in Honolulu. It is a great store for all kinds of Hawaiian fabrics, but they also have a 2nd floor at their main store filled with remnants, discounts, and some incredibly priced non-Hawaiian print cottons.  Whenever I am there I check out the offerings.  

I have to give a nod to those flat rate postal boxes, which I can fill with about 20 yards of fabric and ship home for $ 12, so I figure I am coming out ahead as compared to mail-order plus freight.  No way I am going to stuff 30 yards of fabric in my suitcase, I never have the space and it would weigh too much to carry!  I learned long ago,  when traveling to Hawaii
you don’t need much,  shorts, t-shirts, a couple of cute dresses, swimsuits and that is it.
So if you are in Hawaii take a look at Fabric Mart,  they have stores on Oahu, Maui and the big island.  
Back to sewing.   We chose Simplicity 3833 which is a pattern I had in my stash. It says 1960’s retro on the pattern envelope and appears to be a pattern they have brought back from the era, but it works for today’s style very well.

The construction is very simple but as always I mark everything with tailor's tacks. Sewing goes so fast if everything is marked before you lift off any pattern piece.













It did call for facings on neck and sleeve but I just hate facings, they are always flippy-floppy on the inside of the garment and you have to finish the edges some way.  Much nicer to line the whole dress and do away with the facings entirely.  I use the dress pattern to cut out the lining,  and sew front and back together. 
I generally leave the shoulders open, and then sew the shoulder and side seams together, hand sewing the garment lining shut at the shoulder seam and around the top of the shoulder.  This construction method also allows for any adjustment at side seams or the shoulder seam, such as for a v-neck that needs pulling up a bit.  

Here is the finished dress.  Reminds me of Lilly Pulitzer styles of that era.


                                                

I made the flower following instructions from a book I read 
recently, 


Kanzashi in Bloom

by Diane Gilleland.  

She has a website with info on making these Japanese fabric flowers.  

Here is today's SunnyGal Garden photo.
my own  blooms, to celebrate spring.   Meyer Lemon tree with lemons and flowers.
Meyer lemons are delicious, very sweet and the lemons stay on the tree for at least 6 months.

2 comments:

  1. Pique is a great choice here. Very cute dress!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog and this older post through PR. I'm a beginner when it comes to dress linings and I'm really interested in learning this technique forlining this sleeveless shift dress. Unfortunately, I live in So Cal so in person lessons aren't really in the cards for me. Would you happen to have any other resources to point me to for this?

    ReplyDelete